Two of the most fundamental activities of Reliability, Availability and Maintainability (RAM) Engineering are test and evaluation (T&E). Demonstrating RAM characteristics is crucial for informing important decisions: whether to accept a design, whether equipment meets performance specifications, or to find out to what level the equipment currently operates.
However RAM testing and evaluation can be complicated. Equipment is often designed to be operational for decades, yet test plans cannot be of similar duration. Equipment may be designed to work in very specific environments that are difficult or impossible to replicate. Testing can be expensive, so the inclusion of 'triggers' to cease testing once the requisite information has been obtained could be very advantageous.
Acuitas can help you develop a T&E program. Whether you are designing or implementing tests, common RAM principles need to be applied to ensure that you ultimately obtain the information you desire. A T&E program can assist you in the following ways:
- Understanding the RAM characteristics of equipment
- Developing a time and money test regime to obtain the information you require
- Developing an understanding of the accuracy of test results, and insight in specifying them
- Managing demands for information clarity versus test duration or scope
- Understanding consumer versus producer risks
- Test methodologies such as Accelerated Life Testing (ALT), Highly Accelerated Life Testing (HALT) and Highly Accelerated Stress Screening (HASS).
- Incorporating subjective information or expert opinion
- Demonstrating functional performance of equipment
- Analysing test data
Contact Acuitas to assist you and your T&E program.